In 2006, the District of Sparwood commissioned the creation of a Community Wildfire Protection Plan to identify the levels of wildfire risk in wooded areas of twenty-three “polygons” within the community

Five polygons were considered high hazard risk and two of those are on private property. Professional foresters were brought in to recommend treatment procedures to reduce the risk of wildfire and assess mountain pine beetle activity. There has been and will continue to be treatment in polygons throughout the community. Treatment activities may include thinning of stands, pruning of ladder fuels, surface fuel clean up and others as deemed appropriate. As much as possible the District will attempt to maintain a balance of community aesthetics and wildfire interface prevention.

Wildfires in BC

Nearly half of all wildfires in B.C. are caused by human carelessness. You can make a difference just by following a few simple rules.

  • Make sure your campfire is no larger than 0.5 metres by 0.5 metres. You must also have eight litres of water or a tool to put it out, and have a fireguard in place. Always be sure to check for bans or restrictions.              
  • Heed prohibitions: check for bans and restrictions before striking the match
  • Camp responsibly: In B.C., campfires can’t be larger than 0.5 metres by 0.5 metres. Keep a shovel or at least eight litres of water nearby to extinguish your fire, and don’t forget to create a firebreak. That means making a one-metre debris-free area around your fire by scraping down to the dirt. Before leaving, ensure your campfire is completely out and the ashes cool to touch.
What to do if evacuated from your home

If you are instructed by authorities to evacuate your home as a result of a wildfire in your area, please register with the Canadian Red Cross online at or call 1.800.863.6582 to have an agent help you register. Authorities will advise you if a local Emergency Reception Centre or Group Lodging has been established. Click here for more resource and support information for evacuees from the Province or contact the District Office at 250.425.6271 or 250.425.7760 after hours.

What to do if you smell smoke or see fire

Report fire sightings or the smell of smoke to 1.800.663.5555 FREE or *5555 on cellular networks.

For more information on how you can prevent wildfires, visit the BC Wildfire Service.