General voting day is usually the most publicized or widely-known voting opportunity resident and non-resident property electors have to cast their ballot in a local election.

An advance voting opportunity must also be available, and many local governments offer more than one such opportunity. Some local governments also offer special voting and mail ballot voting to their electors as set out in the local government's election bylaw.

General Voting Day

General voting day is held every four years on the third Saturday in October. General voting day is the primary opportunity for candidates seeking office as a mayor, councillor, or school trustee to be elected to office by eligible electors.

Voting places are open from 8 am to 8 pm local time on general voting day.

Advance Voting

An advance voting opportunity must be held 10 days prior to general voting day. This required advance voting day allows eligible electors who may not otherwise be able to vote on general voting day to cast their ballots. Local governments may set out in their election bylaws whether additional advance voting opportunities will be offered, or in communities of less than 5,000, whether the required additional advance voting opportunity will be waived.

Special Voting

Special voting opportunities may be held in any location – inside or outside the local government boundary – to provide eligible electors who may not otherwise be able to attend a voting place an opportunity to cast their ballots during a local election.

Special voting opportunities are generally held in hospitals, long-term care facilities or other locations where electors’ mobility may be impaired. Only designated electors are eligible to vote at special voting opportunities. Local governments may set out the specific dates, times and locations where special voting will take place during an election in their election bylaws​.

Voting Accessibility

Local governments are required to make voting places as accessible as reasonably possible. This includes providing options for:

  • Assistance receiving a ballot ("curb-side" voting): if an eligible elector travels to a voting place and cannot easily access the building or room in which voting is taking place, an election official may bring them a ballot.
  • Assistance marking a ballot: if an eligible elector is unable to mark their own ballot, another person, such as an election official, friend or relative, may assist them. That person will be required to sign a solemn declaration before being able to provide assistance in marking the ballot.
  • Translation: if an eligible elector requires assistance from a translator, they may bring one, as long as the translator makes a solemn declaration that they can and will translate to the best of their ability.