Ultimately, when efforts at obtaining compliance with District bylaws have failed, Bylaw Enforcement Officers must decide whether the contravention of the bylaws requires enforcement of the bylaw by issuance of a fine

Municipal Ticket Information (MTIs) are issued for both parking violations and municipal bylaw violations.

Fines & Payments

For MTI information and fine amounts, please refer to the District of Sparwood Municipal Ticket Information Bylaw.  The majority of fines are reduced by 50% if paid within 30 days.

  • I have received a ticket (MTI), what are my options?

    You have two options when you have been issued a ticket:

    1. Pay the penalty.
    2. Dispute the ticket.
  • How can I pay my ticket?

    If you've received a MTI ticket from the District of Sparwood, the process to pay for a ticket by cash, cheque (payable to the District of Sparwood) or debit card is as follows:

    • in person at the District Office, 136 Spruce Avenue, Sparwood BC; or
    • by mail to: District of Sparwood, PO Box 520, Sparwood BC V0B 2G0s.

    Your payment must be accompanied by a copy of the ticket, or a note giving sufficient information to identify the ticket, including:

    • the TICKET NUMBER (from the top right corner on the face of this ticket);
    • the DATE OF OFFENCE and the BYLAW NAME and SECTION of the offence.
  • What happens if I do not pay my ticket?

    If the fine is not paid or the allegation contained in the ticket is not disputed within 14 days from the date of service of the ticket, you will be deemed to have pleaded guilty to the offence charged and the fine amount will be immediately payable.

    Tickets that remain unpaid thirty (30) days after being deemed guilty will be sent off to collections.

  • How much time do I have to dispute my ticket?

    If you wish to dispute, you have up to fourteen (14) days from the date of service shown on the face of the ticket to deliver, have delivered or mail your notice of dispute.

    Your notice of dispute must be postmarked on or before the 14th day from the date of service of the ticket.

  • What happens after my dispute has been received?

    You will receive notice in the mail from the Provincial Court Registry informing you of the time and location of your hearing. If you do not attend the Court on the indicated date, the ticket will be treated as not disputed, you will be deemed to have pleaded guilty to the offence charged and the fine amount will be immediately payable.

  • Who is responsible for a parking ticket?

    The registered owner of the vehicle is responsible for their vehicle at all times. A parking ticket is the responsibility of the registered owner, regardless of who was driving the vehicle when the ticket was issued. 

  • My vehicle has been towed, how do I retrieve it?

    While public safety and protection of property are the most important reasons for towing, other reasons might be: 

    • To facilitate snow removal;
    • Demand for the location, such as emergency vehicles;
    • Inconvenience to others (vehicle is obstructing a driveway, private road, garage or parking lot.

    Vehicles towed by the District of Sparwood may be claimed at the Public Works Yard, located at 477 Pine Avenue.

    Contact the District of Sparwood at 250.425.6271 to confirm that your vehicle has been towed by the District.  Prior to getting a vehicle released, you will need to visit the District Office to pay all fines, and towing and impound fees.

More Information on Municipal Tickets & Fines...