The Animal Control Officer is responsible for animal control in the District of Sparwood

As a pet owner, it is important to familiarize yourself with the District’s policies around pet care. 

The District’s policies are outlined in the following bylaws:

Injured Animals, Wildlife & Animal Cruelty or Abuse

We do not have jurisdiction on issues involving wildlife or animal cruelty.  We can assure compliance to basic standards of animal care required under the Animal Control Bylaw, but the provincial SPCA Cruelty Investigators are responsible for the enforcement of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and wildlife issues are the responsibility of the BC Conservation Officer Service.

To Report Abuse:
  • An animal in distress (including wildlife) call the BC SPCA Animal Cruelty Hotline toll-free at 1.855.6BC.SPCA (1.855.622.7722) Monday to Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm and on Saturday and Sunday between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm (Mountain Time).  For emergencies outside of these hours, please contact the Elk Valley Regional RCMP Detachment at 250.425.6233.
  • Wildlife concerns (such as issues with bears or deer) or injured wildlife, call the Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277 FREE (RAPP) 
  • Properties within the District of Sparwood are restricted to a maximum of 5 dogs or cats (or combination of).  Farm animals are permitted within certain areas of the District, however, they are restricted to the areas defined under Schedule B of the Animal Control Bylaw

    Areas around Municipal water wells may have additional restrictions on the number and types of animals. Please contact us for more information.


    Horses are permitted within the District on an occasional basis as long as they are securely tethered at all times and are not kept overnight or longer than 4 consecutive hours between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am.

    Bee Keeping

    The keeping of bees is only permitted within Agricultural zones.


    The operation of kennels for the treatment, care, or boarding in excess of 5 animals are restricted to Agricultural and Light Industrial zones, with the exception of pet stores which are permitted within the Highway Commercial zone under the Zoning Bylaw.

  • The District’s Animal Control Bylaw states that owners must not permit their animals to be at large or unsecured, trespass onto private property, or become a public nuisance.  Animal owners are required to remove any excrement left in a public place and cannot keep more than 5 animals on a property unless zoned as “Agricultural”.

    The following table reflects the applicable fines when a person violates the above restrictions:

    1st Offence 2nd Offence 3rd & Subsequent Offence
    Animal unlawfully on private property $100 $150 $200
    Unsecured grazing animal $100 $100 $100
    Too many animals $100 $150 $200
    Unlawfully keep farm animal $100 $150 $200
    Unlawfully keep bee hives $100 $100 $100

    Note* Fines are reduced by 50% if paid within 30 days of ticket issuance.