The Corporate Services department administers the statutory functions of the Community Charter and Local Government Act to provide excellence in customer service to the public and the organization by supporting other departments in service delivery to the public
The Director of Corporate Services is responsible for managing the department’s daily operations and supervising a staff of 2, which includes 1 full-time (Deputy Director) and 1 contractor (Bylaw Enforcement Officer, plus 1 summer student. The department is the primary access point for citizens and outside agencies wishing to communicate with Council; for conducting elections; coordinating advertising and providing information relating to the Municipal Office and Council to the public.
The department oversees and maintains the corporate records and communications while providing support to the Mayor, Council and its committees. Policy and research, leases, agreements, bylaw enforcement, business licensing, and business development also fall under the responsibility of Corporate Services.
Business & Economic Development
- Assists with the implementation of strategies that support and encourage the expansion and diversification of the existing business sector in support of continued industrial and retail growth;
- Identifies and researches grant opportunities and prepares applications; and
- Assist in the development of strategic partnerships and liaise with representatives of business, industry and government organizations.
Bylaw Services & Business Licensing
- Responsible for the enforcement of municipal bylaws, animal control, and business licensing;
- Responds to citizen’s complaints in order to promote the orderly use of land and compliance with municipal bylaws; and
- Provides care and shelter for abandoned or surrendered animals, issues dog licences, and enforces bylaws related to domestic animals.
Communications & Public Engagement
- Provides general information / research services to Council, staff and the general public;
- Coordinates advertising for the District;
- Maintains Council related information on the corporate website, including Council Facts.
- Manages corporate social media accounts and communications.
- Coordinate the District’s involvement with Emergency Management BC (EMBC) as legislated by the Province, and the coordination of emergency plans and actions related to the District of Sparwood.
- The Emergency Program’s mandate is to meet provincial legislation under the Emergency Program Act, identifying our District’s responsibilities to provide a safer community.
General Local Elections
- Prepares for and conducts all local government elections, bi-elections and referenda, as required, in accordance with the Local Government Act.
Information & Privacy Requests
- Ensures that access is provided to records of Council and Council committees;
- Coordinates responses to requests for records under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA); and
- Interprets the legislation and ensures compliance while advising staff and the public on the availability of information.
Legislative Services & Council Support
- Preparation of Council and Committee of the Whole agendas and recording of minutes;
- Administration of bylaws & policies;
- Implementation, facilitation and development of corporate strategies, programs and plans, including facilitation and drafting of the Corporate Strategic Plan and preparation of the Annual Municipal Report;
- Coordinates and liaises with the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch related to licence applications and changes;
- Execution of all legal documents on behalf of the District of Sparwood;
- Manages and preserves Council, committee and corporate records including agendas, minutes, bylaws, agreements and correspondence; and
- Provides assistance to Council with conference registration.