Thinking of Running for Local Office?

The Province of British Columbia has released a set of resources for anyone considering running in the 2018 General Local Election, including a series of videos with a number of local elected officials discussing their roles and responsibilities. When working on your nomination package (for Office of Mayor or Councillor, or School Trustee), please note that you only require two nominators who are resident in the District of Sparwood. It is strongly recommended that you make an appointment in person with the Chief Election Officer to file your nomination papers. He will be able to answer any questions you might have and confirm the information you have provided is complete. For more information on running for office please refer to the Candidate Information page, contact the Chief Election Officer at, or visit the Provincial website for more information.

On October 20, 2018, eligible voters will elect one (1) Mayor, six (6) Councillors and one (1) School Trustees for School District #5.

Candidate Requirements

To be eligible to run as a candidate in the election, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day;
  • be a Canadian citizen;
  • have lived in BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed; and
  • not be disqualified by law from being nominated, elected, or holding office.
Did you know

Did you know that:

  • you do not need to live in the area you are running in;
  • if you currently work for the District of Sparwood, you must take a leave of absence before being nominated;
  • you must be nominated by two qualified electors (whose names must appear on the Provincial Voting List) of the District of Sparwood in accordance with the Local Government Act (LGA).

For more information, please refer to the Province of BC's What Every Candidate Needs to Know, Potential Candidate Videos, You've Decided to Run for Local Office or the Candidate's Guide to Local Elections 2018

Elector Organizations & Endorsements

Elector organizations endorse candidates and run election campaigns to promote a candidate, group of candidates or a point of view by endorsing candidates on the ballot or by advertising for or in conjunction with candidates. Elector organizations are occasionally referred to as "civic political parties".

Elector organizations must meet membership requirements, appoint official representatives and are subject to campaign financing and election advertising rules under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (LECFA).

For more information, please refer to the Province of BC’s Elector Organization Guide.

School Trustee Election Procedures

Are you thinking of running for School Trustee and want to learn more about the election process and whether you are eligible to stand for election as a trustee? Please refer to the School Trustee Election Procedures Guide prepared by the Ministry of Education. 

Election Offences

General local election offences fall into one of two categories: general election offences committed under the LGA or campaign financing offences committed under the LECFA.

General election offences are usually investigated by law enforcement agencies while campaign financing offences are managed through Elections BC.

For more information, please refer to Election BC’s Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC.

Campaign Finances and Advertising

Elections BC is responsible for administering campaign financing and election advertising rules under the LECFA. This responsibility includes managing campaign financing disclosure requirements, conducting investigations, and enforcing the campaign financing and third-party advertising provisions set out in LECFA. This responsibility also extends to by-elections and non-election assent voting events (also referred to as referenda) held by local election authorities outside of the general local elections cycle.

For more information, please refer to Election BC’s Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC.

Elections BC’s responsibilities under LECFA include:

  • accepting, reviewing and publishing disclosure statements and supplementary reports
  • assisting participants to comply with LECFA
  • registering local advertising sponsors
  • undertaking investigations and audits
  • reporting on the administration of compliance with LECFA

For all inquiries related to campaign finances and advertising, please contact Elections BC:

Toll-Free: 1-855-952-0280