Lifeguard, Casual, On-Call
Sparwood is a friendly and welcoming community of about 4,000 people, nestled in the heart of the Elk Valley in the Southeast Kootenays. As an “Active Community” we have great indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, trails and a world class ski hill just 30 minutes away.
The District of Sparwood has an excellent employment opportunity for an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual to join the Leisure Services team in the role of a casual, on-call Lifeguard. This individual will be working as part of a cooperative team ensuring the safety of pool users as well as maintaining day to day cleanliness of the pool and surrounding areas.
A comprehensive job description can be found below.
This position is a unionized position under CUPE local 2698. The 2020 hourly wage rate is $22.71.
As part of the interview process, shortlisted candidates will be required to participate in a practical portion of the interview at the District of Sparwood Leisure Centre. Qualified applicants who are offered and accept the role may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment Background Check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian Criminal Record check, an Employment Verification and/or an Education and Accreditation Verification.
This position will remain open until filled.
HR & Communication Coordinator
District of Sparwood
Email to: email@example.com
Lifeguard (Casual On-Call)
Director of Community and Facility Services
CUPE – $22.71
Reporting to the Director of Community & Facility Services, lifeguards are responsible for the safe supervision of the public in the aquatics centre. The incumbent will supervise and ensure the safety of pool users in accordance with established safety guidelines, providing lifesaving skills including first aid, resuscitation and other emergency revival techniques as required. In addition, lifeguards plan, organize and lead special events within the pool area as assigned and ensures proper day to day maintenance and cleanliness of the pool and surrounding areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors aquatic activities, ensures adherence and enforcement of pool rules and safety regulations
- Supervises and ensures the safety of pool users in accordance with established safety and health guidelines
- Conducts basic water tests and makes appropriate adjustments as required
- Inspects and cleans pool and aquatic centre facilities such as change rooms, lockers, etc.
- Provides custodial/cleaning and minor maintenance service and ensures safety, hygiene and cleanliness standards are maintained
- Provides information to and assists the public with facility & program information
- Performs routine cashier duties and other related duties as may be assigned
- Plans, organizes and leads events and activities as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with the public in a positive and effective manner
- Ability to educate the public on facility rules and affect discipline in a positive manner
- Be to perform labor-intensive tasks
- Demonstrated ability to be a leader
- Has exceptional customer service skills
- National Life Saving Certificate
- Standard First Aid or equivalent CPR Level ‘C’ and AED
Other Certifications and Qualifications
- Water Safety Instructor
- Life Saving Instructor
- Pool Operator Level I
- First Aid Instructor Aqua-fit Instructor