DISTRICT OF SPARWOOD
Co-op Website Developer (4-month term)
The District of Sparwood is accepting applications for a computer science co-op student to work in a fixed term, full time position, for a four-month term (with the possibility of an additional four-month extension based on work requirements) beginning Spring 2020. If you want practical, hands on, real time work experience that will enhance your post-secondary education, the District of Sparwood is the place for you!
Sparwood is situated in the Rocky Mountains of southeastern BC. Our location offers a myriad of outdoor recreational opportunities, some of which include skiing and snowboarding at nearby Fernie Alpine Resort, hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, stunning vistas, wildlife, and all the fresh elements naturally afforded in a spectacular mountain setting. An Active Living Pass which includes free access to the pool, gym, ice rink, squash and racquetball courts, climbing wall, and some fitness classes is provided to you so you can take advantage of our recreational facilities during your employment.
Under the direction of the Executive Assistant the Website Developer will be responsible for assessing, identifying gaps, providing direction and undertaking modification of the District of Sparwood website.
Principal Job Responsibilities will be:
- Research, design, and implement the appropriate technologies to support and improve corporate communications, access to information, and end-user productivity
- Develop and propose creative solutions that address overall design, site navigation, and layout of content
- Create documentation for all aspects regarding the design and deployment of web-based applications
- Define the interface requirements and architecture, such as user tasks, features, user interaction, and navigation flow
- Create and maintain log files of website hits by unique visitors, number of pages viewed, and other web metrics for analysis
- Assist with database maintenance and work to resolve issues as they arise
- Apply user experience and design principles to the creation and development of Web applications
- Advise management of new applications, advancements, or potential system enhancements in support of future requirements
- Perform security and quality control testing
- Assess and document the requirements of end-users
- Ensure that web-based applications are optimized for third-party search engines and tools
- Use effective interpersonal skills to communicate complex and sensitive information
- Working towards an Information-Technology, Computer Science or similar degree
- Two years of related experience
- Proven website development experience
- Solid understanding of web architectures, user-centric design, and usability testing
- Experience designing and implementing touch screen applications, consumer product interfaces, and creating graphics
- Experience with webpage management
- Experience with search engine optimization, banners, and pay-per-click advertising
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Excellent working knowledge of web servers
- Ability to maintain database-driven content management systems
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical members of the organization
- Familiarity with various programming languages and development platforms
- Strong knowledge of browser compatibility problems for all platforms and major browser types
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Hold a valid Class 5 drivers licence or equivalent
- Attention to Detail
- Innovative and Creative
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Extended periods of sitting
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
- Working in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions
Wages, benefits, and conditions of employment are governed by the current collective agreement with CUPE Local 2698.
The pay rates are as follows:
1st year of studies completed - $19.36/hr.
2nd year of studies completed - $20.93/hr.
3rd year of studies completed - $21.97/hr.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and a copy of your transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 25th, 2020 at 4:00 pm MT.
For information contact:
District of Sparwood