Reporting to the Deputy Director of Finance, the Casual, On-Call Clerk will perform general reception duties including receiving and referring citizens and incoming telephone calls to the appropriate persons and/or departments, and to receive and process customer payments. This role will also act as a first point of contact and provide general information to staff, clients, and the public. The Clerk must have the ability to adapt to new technology and the ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally. This position also performs other administrative duties in various departments (Finance, Public Works and Engineering) as assigned.
- Act as a first point of contact and provide general information to staff, clients, and the public relating to their questions, concerns, or suggestions
- Answer telephone and electronic inquiries and relay telephone calls and messages, refer and/or redirect calls, emails, or citizens as required
- Receive and balance cash/cheque/debit payments and make bank deposits
- Prepare, review, and/or edit various forms of correspondence such as letters, invoices, presentations, publications, and reports
- Administer and manage inbound and outbound mail, including priority post, packages, courier services, and other correspondence
- Provide clerical support for other departments which includes building inspection, bylaw enforcement, business licensing, dog licensing services, Engineering and Operations
- Receive complaints, obtain and record pertinent data, assemble files and distribute information to the relevant department for action
- Photocopy and organize documents for distribution, mailing, binding, and filing
- Present a positive and professional image of the organization when interacting with employees, clients/customers, citizens, and other external stakeholders
- File correspondence, invoices, and receipts
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality in all interactions
- Process applications for and co-ordinates water/sewer connections, turn-offs, disconnections, water thaws in winter and other Operations repairs and maintenance requirements, garbage pick-ups, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attention to detail
- Client/customer focus
- Time management
- Positive attitude
- Minimum grade 12 or equivalent
- Ability to adapt to new technology
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Ability to respond quickly in a dynamic and changing environment
- Ability to type 35 words per minute
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (including Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Superior telephone manners and strong interpersonal skills
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Valid Class 5 Drivers Licence
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
- Extended periods of sitting
- Interaction with employees, management, members of Council and the public at large
- Working in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions
Hours of Work
- While there are no guaranteed hours, casual, on-call hours can occur Monday through Friday between 7:30 am and 4:00 pm.
This position is a unionized position under CUPE local 2698. The 2019 hourly wage rate is $26.78/hour as per the current collective agreement
As part of the interview process, shortlisted candidates will be required to participate in a practical portion of the interview at the District of Sparwood Main Office. Qualified applicants who are offered, and accept, the role may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment Background Check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian Criminal Record check, an Employment Verification and/or an Education and Accreditation Verification and a Clean Drivers Abstract.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by Wednesday, October 2 at 4 pm MDT.
District of Sparwood
Box 520, 136 Spruce Avenue
Sparwood BC, V0B 2G0
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org