Sparwood Fire Department is a composite fire department comprised of full-time Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief, 15 auxiliary (paid-on-call) firefighters, 7 rookie members and 5 probation members who provide service coverage for approximately 4,000 residents within Sparwood and road rescue services within the 70.5 km2
Firefighters must reside within the response area they serve.
Auxiliary firefighters provide an efficient and effective service to the community in the preservation of life, property and the environment. They perform the basic functions of fire protection involving:
- The containment of structural and environmental fires;
- The rescue of citizens involved in motor vehicle incidents;
- The containment of fires and spills involving motor vehicles; and
- Support of Technical Rescue and Hazardous Materials Operations.
Auxiliary firefighters are on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Many hold regular jobs in the mines, as tradespeople, and as office workers. With their employer’s permission, they stop work and attend to emergency incidents as they occur. This round-the-clock role also relies heavily on the patience and support of their family and social circles.
These invaluable members of the Sparwood Fire Department are paid by the hour to attend to emergency incidents as well as participate in weekly skill maintenance drills, regular structured training exercises and other approved activities.
The requirements of auxiliary firefighters include:
- Completed application for membership.
- A driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. A record with more than six points within the previous three years will eliminate an applicant from further consideration.
- No conviction for a criminal offence related to the job duties of personnel in the fire service. Police Records Checks are conducted on all applicants being considered as an auxiliary firefighter.
If you are interested in learning more about how you could become an auxiliary firefighter, please contact the Fire Chief at email@example.com or call 250.425.0558.