Any individual or group wishing to make a public presentation to Council, a Committee, Commission or at a Public Hearing must submit a written request to the Corporate Officer
If you or your organization would like to present to Council or Committee of the Whole, please complete the application to Appear Before Council as a Delegation. All forms must be received by 12:00 p.m. the Wednesday before the meeting you wish to attend. Council meetings are typically held the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month with Committee of the Whole on the 4th Monday. Members of the public or organizations are welcome to attend open meetings.
Helpful tips to follow when presenting before Council meeting
Please remember that you have only 10 minutes to make your presentation to Council, which will be followed by any questions Council may have.
When presenting before Council:
- State your name clearly for the record, and indicate any related professional affiliation "My name is ..............". State the purpose of your address, "I would like to ...............".
- Speak within the time allotted, and ensure the information you provide is related to the item on the Agenda. "This concludes my comments Your Worship", this advises Council that you are finished your presentation.
- When speaking to Council, use “Your Worship”, "Mayor McDougall" or simply "Mister Mayor" to directly address the Mayor and "Councillor", followed by their last name when addressing a Council member.
- The Mayor will invite Council members to ask any questions of you following your presentation. Again, you will address the Mayor in your response, not individual Council members with "Thank you Your Worship, in response to Councillor ______’s questions, I can say ". If referring to a Council member, use their title, "Councillor", followed by their last name.
- Please ensure you answer the question as directed by Council and do not engage in a debate. If there are no further questions, the Mayor will thank you for your comments.
Some additional tips when presenting before Council:
- Presentations should be concise and provide only the information required for Council to make an informed decision.
- Stick to the most important messages.
- For more information on Council meeting procedure, please consult the Council Procedure Bylaw. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.